Wilderness Medicine Residency Rotation
Expand your resident training in the great outdoors.
With the increasing popularity of outdoor recreation, emergency physicians find themselves treating various conditions unique to the wilderness environment. Vituity is proud to offer a unique residency rotation dedicated to wilderness emergency medicine.
Senior residents gain hands-on experience with a CME accredited curriculum in Advanced Wilderness Life Support (AWLS) consisting of supervised patient encounters and training in several aspects of wilderness medicine. This rotation includes field experience at Mount Shasta, one of the most prominent of the Cascade volcanoes, focusing on scenarios requiring teamwork, improvisation and simulation medicine in the following areas:
- Altitude medicine
- Rock/rope rescue
- Diving medicine
- Avalanche awareness
- River rescue
You’ll also get an insider look at Vituity’s unique physician-owned business model where local decision-making is backed by a national support structure. At Vituity, physicians are partners and every partner actively practices medicine—including all levels of leadership. Residency rotations are available to senior residents in their final year of training.
Lace up your hiking boots and embark on an in-depth, experiential education.
- EM core content for emergency medicine residency programs
- Accreditation for CME credits for AWLS through the Wilderness Medical Society
- Fall course focus (Sept/Oct/Nov): rock climbing/ropes
- Winter focus (Dec/Jan/Feb): avalanche/altitude/skiing
- Spring focus (Mar/Apr/May): river rescue/mountaineering
- Summer focus (Jun/Jul/Aug): diving/mountaineering
Sample residency rotation schedule (28-day rotation):
- 9 days: ED shifts (Level II Trauma, Stroke/STEMI center/ 55K ED census)
- 2 days: tactical medicine principles/range shooting
- 3 days: AWLS course and certification
- 3 days: wilderness travel excursion/wilderness clinical scenarios
- 2 days: personal skills training — basic high angle/ropes course/climbing/rescue litters
- 4 days: outdoor/clinical experience — climb Mt. Shasta, river raft, Mt. Shasta Ski Resort