The Vituity EMPA Fellowship at Presence Saints Mary & Elizabeth Medical Center provides clinical and didactic instruction. The curriculum is structured on the American College of Emergency Physicians' (ACEP) Model of Clinical Practice.
The didactic segment of the fellowship includes weekly didactic lecture content provided by the EM physicians and advanced provider group to elevate clinical confidence and ability in differential diagnosis, case scenarios, treatment plans, radiology, and EKG review. We encourage feedback and interaction from all fellows.
This portion of the training includes:
- Shared didactics with the Presence Resurrection Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Journal club/dinner held quarterly at one of our physician’s homes
- Focused training in clinical efficiency, documentation, billing, scribe utilization, and patient throughput
- Focused training in malpractice risk reduction, charting for maximum reimbursement (RVU), and legal issues (EMTALA, UC to ED transfer)
- List of targeted procedures and guided competency including lumbar puncture, central line, intubation, orthopedic reductions, complex laceration repair, ACLS management, etc.
- Pre-rotation orientation
The clinical practicum is focused on hands-on training, with opportunities for rotating through three additional hospitals in the Presence Health system. Over the course of the 13-month fellowship, each fellow works a minimum of 1,690 clinical hours in acute EM care. The clinical schedule includes:
- 8 weeks: Intro to Emergency Medicine — approach to the emergency department patient, differential diagnosis, cost-effective and evidence-based care, basic procedural skills (airway and venous access), development of treatment plan and disposition.
- 12 weeks: Advanced Emergency Medicine
- 12 weeks: Acute Care Emergency Medicine
- 4 weeks: Pediatrics
- 4 weeks: General and trauma surgery
- 2 weeks: Vacation
- 14 weeks : Other various emergency-related areas of medicine such as:
- Behavioral health
Scheduling includes overnights and weekends and is subject to change.
Apply Now to the EMPA Fellowship